- JUST BLOOMED TODAY~READER'S SHARE
- TWEET TREATS
- DID YOU KNOW...?
- GARDEN UPDATE
- GARDEN READ~ LETTER IN THE WALLET~ THE CONCLUSION
- GARDEN GIGGLE
- GARDEN GOODIES~SHARE OUR GARDEN RECIPE #0041 STAR SPANGLED BLUEBERRY SQUARES
- WHAT IN THE WORLD? OVER THE FENCE
Our thanks to one of our High Desert paparazzi, Pat, for this find!
|Customers who bought The Best of Donny & Marie Vol 1 also bought 3/8" utility rope, 80 feet; Glad large trash bags, 40 ct and a 15" Chef's Bone Saw @leemanish|
That when I was in Dollar Tree today they were putting ou the Halloween stuff. I said to the manager, "Seriously? Halloween?" and he replied, "Yes. Next week we put out Christmas." =:0
Had the most wonderful magic garden moment this morning as I was watering. A baby female hummer buzzed me and then made a beeline (pardon the pun) for the stream of water. She danced all around it until she dove in for a wee drink. So sweet she was, bathed in early dappled sunlight, just her and me.
Used an apple right off the tree for lunch...yum!
GARDEN READ~ LETTER IN THE WALLET~THE CONCLUSION
"Oh, no, thank you," I said, "But I have to tell you something. I read the letter in the hope of finding out who owned the wallet."
The smile on his face disappeared. "You read that letter?"
"Not only did I read it, I think I know where Hannah is."
He grew pale. "Hannah? You know where she is? How is she? Is she still as pretty as she was?"
"Please tell me!" Michael urged.
"She's fine, and just as pretty as when you knew her."
"Could you tell me where she is? I want to call her tomorrow." He grabbed my hand and said, "You know something? When that letter came, my life ended. I never married. I guess I've always loved her."
"Michael," I said, "Come with me."
The three of us took the elevator to the third floor. We walked toward the dayroom where Hannah was sitting, still watching tv. The director went over to her.
"Hannah," he said softly, "Do you know this man?" Michael and I stood waiting in the doorway.
She adjusted her glasses, looked for a moment, but didn't say a word.
"Hannah, it's Michael, Michael Goldstein. Do you remember?"
"Michael? Michael? It's you!"
He walked slowly to her side. She stood and they embraced. The two of them sat on a couch, held hands, and started to talk. The director and I walked out, both of us crying.
"See how the good Lord works, " I said philosophically, "If it's meant to be, it will be."
Three weeks later, I got a call from the director, who asked, "can you break away on Sunday to attend a wedding?"
He didn't wait for an answer. "Yup, Michael and Hannah are going to tie the knot!"
It was a lovely wedding, with all the people at the nursing home joining in the celebration. Hannah wore a beige dress and looked beautiful. Michael wore a dark blue suit and stood tall. The home gave them their own room, and if you ever wanted to see a 76 year old bride and a 78 year old groom acting like two teenagers, you had to see this couple.
A perfect ending for a love affair that lasted nearly 60 years.
- Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national animal but was outvoted when John Adams and Thomas Jefferson chose the bald eagle.
- Over an estimated 150 million hot dogs will be consumed today. That's roughly 1 dog for every two people in the U.S.
- Oddly, the majority of the nation's flags and patriotic paraphernalia in relation to the 4th of July is produced in China. Nearly $349 million dollars are used each year to import in the flags, banners, decorations, and emblems.
- The first 4th of July party held at the White House was in 1801.
- The 4th of July was not declared a national holiday until 1941.
WHAT IN THE WORLD? OVER THE GARDEN FENCE
On today in American history, people in gardens everywhere were talking about: