Monday, July 2, 2012

Independence Day Quiz

"Song of the American Eagle"
Author Unknown

I build my nest on the mountain's crest,

Where the wild winds rock my eaglets to rest,

Where the lightnings flash, and the thunders crash,
And the roaring torrents foam and dash;

For my spirit free henceforth shall be

A type of the sons of Liberty.

Aloft I fly from my aƫrie high,

Through the vaulted dome of the azure sky;

On a sunbeam bright take my airy flight,

And float in a flood of liquid light;

For I love to play in the noontide ray,

And bask in a blaze from the throne of day.

Away I spring with a tireless wing,

On a feathery cloud I poise and swing;

I dart down the steep where the lightnings leap,

And the clear blue canopy swiftly sweep;

For, dear to me is the revelry

Of a free and fearless Liberty.

I love the land where the mountains stand,

Like the watch-towers high of a Patriot band;

For I may not bide in my glory and pride,

Though the land be never so fair and wide,

Where Luxury reigns o'er voluptuous plains,

And fetters the free-born soul in chains.

Then give to me in my flights to see

The land of the pilgrims ever free!

And I never will rove from the haunts I love

But watch, from my sentinel-track above,

Your banner free, o'er land and sea,

And exult in your glorious Liberty.

O, guard ye well the land where I dwell,

Lest to future times the tale I tell,

When slow expires in smoldering fires

The goodly heritage of your sires,

How Freedom's light rose clear and bright

O'er fair Columbia's beacon-light,

Till ye quenched the flame in a starless night.

Then will I tear from your pennon fair

The stars ye have set in triumph there;

My olive-branch on the blast I'll launch,

The fluttering stripes from the flagstaff wrench,

And away I'll flee; for I scorn to see

A craven race in the land of the free!

TODAY'S SEEDS OF WISDOM


  • TWEET TREATS
  • DID YOU KNOW...?
  • GARDEN UPDATE
  • FAUNA
  • GARDEN GIGGLE
  • GARDEN GAMES~INDEPENDENCE DAY QUIZ 
  • WHAT IN THE WORLD? OVER THE FENCE
  • FEEDBACK

TWEET TREATS
bringing you the quirky, funniest and most interesting tweets from Twitter that we came across. 
Nothing makes a woman feel sexier than the flimsy paper gown and plastic belt accessory at a Dr's office   @Molly_Kats



DID YOU KNOW...?
The largest flower in the world is the titan arums, which produces flowers 10 ft wide and 3 ft high. The flowers smell of decaying flesh and also known as corpse flowers.


GARDEN UPDATE
Pretty hot today, with it hitting 90+ in the early afternoon. For all those people on the East coast without electricity, our hearts go out to you and fingers crossed that you will get power back on soon!


Continued to work on my apricots today. Prepared another batch of fruit puree and made 13 jars of jam. Still have another full bucket of fruit to go and the apples really need to come off that tree as they are jumping off by themselves.
GARDEN GIGGLE
 
You Might be a Redneck If:

  • Your lifetime goal is to own a fireworks stand
  • If a woman says she's game, and you shoot her
  • If any of your children were conceived under a stoplight
  • if any of your hobbies require a dog and a lantern
  • if both your house and your car are on blocks
  • if everything you won at the Fair is hanging from your rearview mirror
  • if you take your wife to dinner for your first wedding anniversary at the Wal-Mart snack bar
  • if grass is growing in the floorboards of your car
  • if instead of buying your girlfriend candy and flowers you spray paint her name on an overpass
  • if on cold nights the dog sleeps on the bed and the wife doesn't



FAUNA


GARDEN GAMES~INDEPENDENCE DAY QUIZ
How much do you know about your country? Take the quiz!
1. What is the title of the national anthem?
a.Oh Say Can You See
b. God Bless America
c.America the Beautiful
d. Star Spangled Banner


2.Who has the ability to declare war?
a.The President
b.Secretary of Defense
c.The Joint Chiefs
d. Congress


3.How many full terms may a Senator serve?
a. 1
b. 2
c. 4
d. no term limits for Senators


4. How many full terms can a President serve?
a. 1
b. 2
c. 4
d. No term limits for President


5.Who becomes President if both the President and Vice President die?
a.Speaker of the House
b. Secretary of Defense
c. The Chief Justice
d. The First Lady


6. How many branches of government do we have?
a.1
b.2
c.3
d.0


7. How many stripes are there on the American flag?
a.10
b. 13
c. 50
d. 100


8.Who was the President during the Civil War?
a. Abraham Lincoln
b. George Washington
c. Ulysses S. Grant
d.Lyndon B. Johnson


9.How many total Senators are there?
a.10
b. 13
c. 50
d. 100


10.How many Presidents have been impeached?
a.None
b. 1
c. 2
d. 4


Answers: 1-D 2-D 3-D 4-B 5-A 6-B 7-B 8-C 9-D 10-C
How did you do?
WHAT IN THE WORLD? OVER THE GARDEN FENCE
On today in American history, people in gardens everywhere were talking about:
1775 George Washington takes command of the Continental Army
1863 The Battle of Gettysberg ends
1890 Iowa becomes the 43rd state
1969 Rolling Stone Guitarist Brian Jones dies
1971 The Doors Frontman Jim Morrison dies  
1985 Back To The Future is released
1986 President Reagan rededicates the Statue of Liberty
2012 US East Coast experiences massive power blackouts and record heat

FEEDBACK
As always, we would love to hear from you! Please share here; Or find us on Facebook Or Pin us!Follow Me on Pinterest    Delicious

1 comment:

Virginia said...

loved the animated eagle, cool!