- JUST BLOOMED TODAY
- THE ADVENTURES OF TEXTFROMDOG
- TWEET TREATS
- DID YOU KNOW...?
- GARDEN UPDATE
- PET FRIENDLY WEED KILLER
- GARDEN GIGGLE
- GARDEN GOODIES~SHARE OUR GARDEN RECIPE #0051 DEPRESSION CHOCOLATE TOMATO SOUP CAKE WITH A TWIST
- WHAT IN THE WORLD? OVER THE FENCE
|Nightmare #278: Macaulay Culkin applies for a commercial fishing license. I watch helplessly from a distance. Vultures circle overhead. @ MaybeNotSteve|
The total weight of all of the ants on Earth is almost equal to weight of all the humans on Earth.
Hurried through the watering this morning so I could hit the away-from-home errands before it got too hot. Birds were out of feed and those wild babies need their feed! Just a hint- if you are buying lots of wild bird food, it is much cheaper and better quality to buy it at a feed store.
ORGANIC DIY PET FRIENDLY WEED KILLERS
Had a request from one of our readers, Therese, about pet friendly weed killers. She wanted something that could be around her dogs, as she didn't have a run to put them in while spraying. I looked around my resources and this is what I found. If you know of one I didn't mention, please share!
1. I know most people won't like this option, but pulling the weeds is a 100% safe pet friendly weed killer. Plus, your dogs will not be exposed to foxtails, thistles and thrips which live in weeds and can contribute to a huge vet bill, as well as discomfort to the dog. Many dogs who develop rashes on their tummies are getting them from an allergy to grass, weeds or green plant material.
3.Vinegar and soap. Mix one ounce dishwasher soap (do not choose anti-bacterial dishwashing soap or laundry soap as these have harmful phosphates, or ones which contain bleach) per one gallon of vinegar.
4.Vinegar and Lime or Lemon Juice. Use 1 tablespoon or up to one cup to one gallon of vinegar. This juice increases the acidity of the mixture and therefore its effectiveness.
You can add your vinegar weed killer spray to a spray bottle or a watering can. It is more effective to spray the leaves, stems and flower material of the weeds rather than the roots or soil area.
6. Boiling Water. Just pouring straight boiling water will kill weeds. Be careful as it will also kill whatever other green good plant material is near as well.
8. Vinegar and clove or orange oil. Use 1 tablespoon essential oil to the vinegar to add to its ability to stick to the plant.
9. Cornmeal. Cornmeal has an element in it that discourages new growth. Once you get rid of those pesky weeds, use cornmeal to stop regrowth.
Hope this answers your question, Therese? If anybody has used something great that is pet-friendly, we would love to share it with everyone.
An Illinois man left the snow-filled streets of Chicago for a vacation in Florida. His wife was on a business trip and was planning to meet him there the next day. When he reached his hotel he decided to send his wife a quick email. Unfortunately, when typing her address, he missed one letter, and his note was directed instead to an elderly preacher’s wife whose husband had passed away only the day before. When the grieving widow checked her email, she took one look at the monitor, let out a piercing scream, and fell to the floor in a dead faint.At the sound, her family rushed into the room and saw this note on the screen: Dearest Wife,Just got checked in. Everything prepared for your arrival tomorrow. P.S. Sure is hot down here.
1921 Insulin isolated in Toronto
1940 Bugs Bunny made his film debut in a film called "The Wild Hare"
1949 The world's first jet-propelled aircraft, a De Havilland Comet makes a test flight
1964 The Pentagon anounces they are sending 5,000 more troops to Vietnam
1974 Nixon charged with first of three articles of impeachment
1981 Adam Walsh is abducted, prompting John Walsh to start America's Most Wanted years later
2003 Comedian Bob Hope dies at the age of 100
2012 Katharine Jackson returns home to resume guardianship of MJ kids