- JUST BLOOMED TODAY
- GARDEN UPDATE
- BUTTERFLY MOTHS
- GARDEN GIGGLE
- GARDEN FLOTSAM~NATIONAL ACCORDION AWARENESS MONTH
- DUH! (A 'WHY-DIDN'T-I-THINK-OF-THAT' MOMENT) #D01
- GARDEN GAMES
- WHAT IN THE WORLD? OVER THE GARDEN FENCE
Yesterday the hubby called me and said, "Come outside and see! So beautiful!". He was right! He had found a lovely hummingbird moth, specifically a white-lined sphinx hummingbird moth.
The White-lined sphinx (Hyles lineata) is a moth of the Sphingidae family. It lives from Central America, through the United States and into parts of Canada. Many of these are mistaken for hummingbirds while flying.
The fore wing is dark brown with a tan stripe which extends from the base to the apex. There are also white lines that cover the veins. The black hind wing has a broad pink median band. It has a wingspan of 2 to 3 inches. The White-lined sphinx may be encountered from April to October.The moth's range is throughout the United States and extends north into southern Canada and south into Mexico. It can also be found occasionally in the West Indies. The caterpillars burrow into soil to go into chrysallis, where they remain for 2–3 weeks before they emerge as adults.
The caterpillars of this species eat:
Such a pretty thing and made a small whirring sound similar to a hummer. When we released it, it flew high, high up beyond the treetops, leaving us with the memory of the moth with stained glass wings.
A guy walked into a doctor's office and said "I think I'm a moth". The doctor replied "I think you want the psychiatrist's office just down the hall". The guy replied "I was on my way there but I noticed your light was on".
June is National Accordion Awareness Month (NAAM). National Accordion Awareness Month was established in 1989 to help spread the word about the resurgence in popularity in the accordion and to educate people about the accordion.
Did you know...
- A blue-ribbon panel of experts recently named the accordion as the instrument most likely to put a smile on your face.
- The piano accordion is the official musical instrument of the city of San Francisco and has been since 1990.
- Actress Lucy Liu plays the accordion
- Billy Joel and Barry Manilow also play the accordion.
- The accordion is a member of the reed family, not the keyboard family.
- The first United States-made piano accordion (the ones with the keys on it) was manufactured in San Francisco back in 1907. It was at the Guerrini Accordion Company .
- When people think of an accordion, they usually envision that large, black monstrosity with piano keys on one side and about a thousand buttons on the other side. However, the accordion family also includes Cajun button boxes, chromatic and diatonic button accordions, the concertina, the bayan, and the bandoneon.
- China is the largest manufacturer and exporter of accordions in the world.
- 1882-The first electric iron was patented by H.W. Seely
- 1942- The Battle of Midway
- 1966-Ronald Reagan is elected governor of California
- 1977- Queen Elizabeth of England celebrates her Silver Jubilee
- 1982-Graceland opened to the public for the first time, 5 years after Elvis' death
- 2002-President George W.Bush announces the creation of the Department of Homeland Security
right mouse click on picture to save to your computer, then print