Friday, January 13, 2012

B Is For Bulbs!

They say confession is good for the soul...so I must confess I am addicted to bulbs.I simply cannot resist them.

For those of you who have never planted bulbs...WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? Planting bulbs is so easy and simple. Check out this chart from bulbinfo.com. It made me laugh when I saw it. Perfect for the blog, I thought!


What they don't tell you is what is the top and what is the bottom of the bulb.The top is where the shoots grow up and the bottom is where the roots grow down. Sometimes it's tricky to see, but as a rule of thumb look at these glad bulbs I planted today, along with an invaluable planting tool that will save you bending over to dig.See how the top forms a little peak, like a teeny hat? The bottom has more like a ring for the roots to grow out and stabilize the flower when it grows so tall.


Where we are located it gets cold at night in the Fall and Winter so the bulbs get their hibernation in the cold just right. If you live in warmer areas it is suggested that you store your bulbs in the refrigerator for 4-6 weeks before planting. The cold signals their time to get ready to start the growing process once the nice warm sunshine is around. More about bulbs tomorrow.

No comments: