- JUST BLOOMED TODAY
- AWKWARD VISIT WITH SANTA PHOTO OF THE DAY
- HIDEOUS CHRISTMAS SWEATER PHOTO OF THE DAY
- HOLIDAY PHOTO OF THE DAY
- TWEET TREATS
- DID YOU KNOW...?
- DOG CONFESSIONS
- BIZARRE CHRISTMAS CARDS
- LETTERS TO SANTA
- GARDEN UPDATE
- GARDEN GIGGLE
- WHAT IN THE WORLD?
|"Oh, yeah, she was great. But we couldn't get her to sit still for the clown." @karentozzi|
According to Hostess, it takes about 45 seconds for a Twinkie to explode in a microwave.
Please bring presents to all the kids, especially the poor ones who have not even one toy. I don't think it would be a very merry Christmas if poor kids didn't get anything!!
- Julian, 8, Medford, Massachusetts.
Can I also have a picture of your new stealth sled that I heard about from the internet?
- Matt, 11, San Marcos, Texas.
Dear Santa, I would love all the presents I asked for but my mom deserves them more. I have been getting presents all year from my mom and she works hard to get them for me. My mom doesn't know how much I love her that's why I want her to have all my presents. Love, Victoria
- Victoria, 12, Syracuse, New York.
70F in mid-afternoon! Not too far from sundown and the temp drops fast and then we are ready for that cozy fire!
The Hostess Twinkie made its debut in Chicago in 1930. Until World War II, the Twinkie was filled with banana flavoring. A banana shortage during the war forced a change to vanilla filling, which persists to today. Here are some more interesting facts about the Twinkie garnered from a variety of sources:
- It became famous in the late 1970's in a San Francisco murder trial. Dan White, accused of murdering San Francisco Mayor George Mosconi and Supervisor Harvey Milk, claimed that eating junk food such as Twinkies helped cause a change in his behavior and made him more aggressive. His lawyer claimed that White's consumption of Twinkies should be a mitigating factor. A public uproar followed White's light sentence for murder, and the "Twinkie Defense" was born.
- Calling the Hostess Twinkie "an object of enduring American symbolism," President Bill Clinton placed it in the National Millenium Time Capsule in 1999.
- A Twinkie is 68 percent air.
- Following the announcement of the imminent bankruptcy of Hostess, EBay entrepreneurs started selling them online. One vendor had an opening bid of $200,000 for one box last weekend!
- The Twinkies Cookbook went on sale in 2006. It contains a multitude of recipes, including one on how to use Twinkies to stuff your Thanksgiving turkey!
- At peak production, Hostess was turning out over 500 million Twinkies a year-- about 1,000 a minute.
- The original price for a package of Twinkies was two for a nickel.
- Even though the shelf life of a Twinkie is 25 days, a teacher from Blue Hill, Maine kept a package of Twinkies atop his blackboard for 30 years. The Twinkies were described as brittle but edible after he retired.
- Lewis Browning, a retired 89 year old milk truck driver from suburban Indianapolis, has appeared on the Jay Leno Show. Lewis has eaten at least 1 Twinkie a day for over 60 years--over 25,000! Could Twinkies explain Lew's longevity?
- Each Twinkie has about 150 calories.
- Each Twinkie has about 39 ingredients, including minute amounts of rocks, glue, and petroleum!
- Ever hear of "Twinkiegate?" A Minneapolis councilman named George Belair gave Twinkies to a senior citizens' group in 1985 while campaigning for office. He was indicted for bribery; eventually, the charges were dropped. The incident did, however, lead to campaign reform laws in Minnesota.
1095 Pope Urban II orders the first Crusade
1924 Macy's holds its first Thanksgiving Day parade, complete with floats and live animals
1978 San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk shot to death by former disgruntled employee
2005 Doctors in France perform first partial face transplant
2007 Indy 500 champ Hélio Castroneves wins "Dancing with the Stars"
2012 Cyber Monday is expected to be the biggest online shopping day in history. Shoppers are expected to spend $1.5 billion on Cyber Monday, up 20 percent from last year