Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bumper Crop

" First Love"
John Clare 1793 - 1864

I ne'er was struck before that hour 
With love so sudden and so sweet, 
Her face it bloomed like a sweet flower 
And stole my heart away complete. 
My face turned pale as deadly pale. 
My legs refused to walk away, 
And when she looked, what could I ail? 
My life and all seemed turned to clay.

And then my blood rushed to my face 
And took my eyesight quite away, 
The trees and bushes round the place 
Seemed midnight at noonday. 
I could not see a single thing, 
Words from my eyes did start -- 
They spoke as chords do from the string, 
And blood burnt round my heart.

Are flowers the winter's choice? 
Is love's bed always snow? 
She seemed to hear my silent voice, 
Not love's appeals to know. 
I never saw so sweet a face 
As that I stood before. 
My heart has left its dwelling-place 
And can return no more


TODAY'S SEEDS OF WISDOM

  • JUST BLOOMED TODAY
  • GARDEN UPDATE
  • BUMPER CROP 
  • FAUNA
  • GARDEN GIGGLE
  • FEEDBACK
JUST BLOOMED TODAY
Geraniums

Stargazer Lilies

GARDEN UPDATE
In the 80's here today, so the watering schedule stayed the same. I also deadheaded the roses, and am almost ready for another round of bananafanafoefana to go into the ground.


The mulberries are going to have a stellar year this year and the birds (and us!) are licking our chops in anticipation. Still harvesting strawberries every morning when I water, and thyme and lettuce as well.


The apricots, apples and cherries are growing steadily and it looks like we might have some berries this year!
BUMPER CROP 
While walking through the garden today, I mentioned to the hubby that we would have a bumper crop of mulberries this year. Then I got to thinking...where DOES that weird saying come from?


A bumper crop refers to an unusually large crop growth or harvest. It comes from the word 'bumper', which in the 17th century was a large glass of beer or wine that was filled to the brim, hence the sense of a bumper as being something large. Ok, that was weird, but how many of you knew that?

GARDEN GIGGLE


FAUNA


FEEDBACK
As always, we would love to hear from you! Please share here; Or find us on Facebook!

No comments: