Pavel Friedmann 4.6.1942
- JUST BLOOMED TODAY
- GARDEN UPDATE
- WILD ABOUT MUSHROOMS
- GARDEN GIGGLE
- GARDEN GAMES
- GARDEN GOODIES~SHARE OUR GARDEN RECIPE #009 MUSHROOM LETTUCE WRAPS
NEVER use mushrooms found in the wild! They could easily be their close cousin, the poisonous toadstool! The commercially available mushroom are all grown under controlled and sterile conditions. For purposes of this article we will be concentrating on the edible mushrooms, NOT the kind Alice ate to become TALL!
You will need:
FOR THE SAUCE:
(2) T soy sauce
(1) T red wine vinegar or other vinegar
(1) T red wine or dry sherry
(1 1/2) tsp sugar
(1) tsp freshly ground pepper
(1) tsp cornstarch
FOR THE FILLING:
\(4) cups of assorted mushrooms
(2) T vegetable oil
(1) cup celery stalks, strings removed finely diced
(4) scallions, white and green parts, trimmed and minced (3/4 cup)
(1) cup carrots, peeled and finely diced
(2) oz FIRM tofu, finely diced( or chicken can be substituted)
(1) tsp sesame oil*(optional for flavoring. It adds 120 calories)
(2-3) T of lightly toasted pine nuts
(8-12) whole Bibb, Boston or Iceberg Lettuce Leaves
FOR THE SAUCE: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, wine, sugar and pepper. In another small bowl stir together cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Set bowls aside.
FOR THE FILLING: Finely dice mushrooms, which should be about 1 1/2 cups. Place a large wok over high heat and add oil. When oil is hot, add mushrooms, celery, carrots and scallions. Stir-fry until celery and carrots are crisp-tender, about 45 seconds. Add soy-sauce mixture and stir for 20 seconds. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened, about 30 seconds.
Add tofu and toss gently, being careful not to break up tofu. Add sesame oil and toss again. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with pine nuts.
TO SERVE: Place bowl of mushroom filling alongside a platter of lettuce leaves and a small bowl of hoisin sauce. Spread about 1/4 tsp hoisin sauce in center of each lettuce leaf and add 2 Tablespoons of mushroom mixture. Roll up leaf and eat like a taco!